Saturday, 23 June 2012

Watch your country limited TV stream abroad with proxy

It happened already many times, that I wanted to watch some tv stream from my country, but I couldn't because I was outside. I did set it up some long time ago, but I keep forgetting how I did it and then I have to find out again. This post is the first on my blog devoted to remembering these technical How to... instructions and perhaps helping to others who are in the search of the same. I will be trying to explain things as simple as possible including the pictures when I can, because I know not everybody is very familiar with complex technology ;o)
The trick in watching another country stream is in utilizing Proxy servers of that country where the tv stream is allowed to be watched. Basically it's about redirecting the web browser to that proxy server. I am from Czech and I wanted to watch the tv for which I pay the tv license fees back there, but I couldn't watch it, because I am in Ireland. So, my task is to find Czech proxy server and configure the browser to use that server.

It will work as long, as the proxy server will be online. After that, I should find another working server address. Sometimes, if you don't want to search for the proxy, you could be better of setting up yours, your family or somebody's else computer back in your home country as proxy and secure the access to it, if you want to have it only private. But that would be for another post.

Now, we're going to simply setup the client side only. It consists of two parts. As already mentioned, the first part is about finding the proxy server address and the second part is about directing your browser to the proxy. It's not difficult, just that the second part will be done whenever you want to watch the stream (unless you will find so good proxy you will not need to disable it), while the first part will have to be repeated whenever the proxy ceases to work.

So, finding the proxy server:
1.       Google up "czech proxy" or whatever your target country is and click on any promising link - I have chosen the second link from top by chance with address http://spys.ru/free-proxy-list/CZ/ (perhaps because there was written Free :o) - some proxies are also paid).

proxy 1.png

2.       Select any address from the list – I have chosen 80.95.109.210:808 – and copy it to clipboard (Ctrl + C). I've tried also others before, but there was working only HTTP protocol. That means the browser will download only basic web content, but not the video stream. So, I was trying one address by one until I found this one where the video has worked. Not every proxy server will forward the video, so you have to search a while for it.

proxy 2.png

Setting up the browser for proxy:
1.       I am using Firefox, so I will describe it on that one, but the way might be very similar for other browsers too. In the browser menu select Options:

proxy 3.png

2.       Chose the most right icon Advanced in the top menu and there select the Network tab. Then click the button Settings... in the Connection section:

proxy 4.png

3.       In next opened window select Manual proxy configuration radio-button and paste (Ctrl + V) the address of the proxy to the HTTP proxy text-field. Actually, here you will need only the first part of the address (before colon) - so you will have there 80.95.109.210. Cut (Ctrl + X) the second part (behind colon) of the address and paste it to the next text-field Port - so you will have there 808. Remove the colon, if you have it somewhere there, because it isn't needed. You can leave the checkbox Use this proxy server for all protocols ticked and click on button OK and close the rest of windows.

proxy 5.png

4.       Then just go to the page of the tv stream you wish to watch and enjoy.

Without proxy: 


With proxy:

proxy 6.png

5.       After you finish watching, go back to the settings again and disable the redirection by selecting No proxy radio-button and confirm by OK. That's because your regular internet browsing can be lot slower when all the traffic is sent through proxy. You will enable it when you want to watch it again of course :o)

I hope it helps someone as it helped me...
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment